Tuesday, March 15, 2011

For Authors-Daily Inspirational Quotational

As an author, or aspiring author since I've technically not been published yet (details, details), I find this next quote to ring particularly true.  In order to write a convincing story with equally convincing characters, you have to embody the story your writing; you have to become those characters.  To make them real, you have to put yourself in their shoes, feel every single emotion they feel.  When they cry, so should you.  When they're happy, so should you be.  Then and only then can you honestly expect to establish an emotional connection with the reader because if you feel nothing for your work, then neither will they.

"To imagine yourself inside another person...is what a story writer does in every piece of work; it is his first step, and his last too, I suppose."--Eudora Welty



Eudora Welty
1909-2001*

*As a side note, I'm finding that a lot of female authors live insanely long lives.  Unfortunately for me, I think the booze might derail this possibility as far as I'm concerned.  ;)

No comments: