Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crazy Cat Lady Edition of Inspirational Quotational

Here's a three for one for today's Inspirational Quotational (although I'm not entirely sure how the last two are inspirational).

"Many people hear voices when no-one is there.  Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day.  Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."

I have no idea whose quote this is but it is incredibly true.  If it's one thing every writer sacrifices it's their social life.  While writing Enigma Black--when I was really gung-ho writing it--I would literally come home from work, take care of my daughter and then plug away at the computer avoiding all friends and social networking sites in the process.  I'd do this from 7 at night until 1 in the morning (having to arise to face the day again at 6:30).  The allure of writing was too much for me to stop; it was almost like a drug.  Don't get me wrong, it still is and I'm sure when I get into Vendetta a little more, I'll shut myself away again even though I feel completely guilty doing so.

The following two quotes I stumbled upon while looking for today's slice of inspiration.  I'm affectionately calling them my "crazy cat lady quotes":

"Cats are dangerous companions for writers because cat watching is a near-perfect method of writing avoidance."--Dan Greenburg

Huh? Because your attention span is that compromised?  Because your Ritalin ran dry?  I guess I shouldn't be too judgmental.  I tend to get distracted whenever Ghost Adventures is on when I'm writing and Zak Bagans appears on the screen.  So, yeah, I can totally see where a cat could mesmerize you that much...

"A catless writer is almost inconceivable.  It's a perverse taste, really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of the pen and walk on typewriter keys."--Barbara Holland

The only thing my cat does is drop the occasional bomb while curled up in a ball next to me.  Ms. Holland's cat must be the spawn of Satan.  You bet your sweet ass if my cat did any of the above the little bastard would be outside lickety split.

FYI-I have three cats and love the crap out of them but these quotes are taking cat ownership to a whole new level.

No comments: