Tuesday, March 1, 2011

So You Want to Write a Novel...



I can't begin to express the amount of people who, after I told them I was writing a novel, asked me when it would be published or made remarks about being rich.  First of all, just because you write a novel doesn't mean it's going to get published and most certainly doesn't mean that, if it does get accepted for publication, that it's going to be on bookstore shelves tomorrow.  And as far as rich....wow, just wow.  If you write novels just to get rich and famous, honey you are in the wrong profession.  Sure, there are those authors that have achieved those heights, but for ever successful author, there are 20 that you never hear about.  To be a writer you have to LOVE to write, plain and simple.

The above video is the perfect illustration for the lay people's thinking (including some of my own) as to how writing, landing an agent and publishing your book works.  Believe me, if I thought the sheer act of just writing a book would make me rich, I would have left my job years ago. 

No comments: