Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Muse

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110301/ap_on_en_mu/us_obit_rotolo

In the sad passing of the woman who is considered to be the muse for Bob Dylan, I can't help but think about the impact of muses on various works of art.  Whether your art is created with the stroke of a paint brush, within the solitude of a recording studio, or by the clinging of keys at your fingertips, chances are it was inspired by someone or something somewhere.  Muses, romantic ideals immortalized in works of art throughout generations, can range anywhere from a friend, spouse, lover, child, or complete stranger; to something intangible like a place in time or a memory.

For me, my muses appear in the form of friends, family, acquaintances and through music.  Many of the characters in my Enigma Black trilogy were inspired by those close to me or who were once close to me.  Several of the characters are comprised of more than one person (of course, the identities of these people are only going to be known to me).  However, most of my writing comes from pieces of music and artists.  For Enigma, I relied on the music of Evanescence, Linkin Park, Red, and Muse (fittingly).

Muses, they've been the paint in which artists have used to cover canvases; the words on the pages of books; the lyrics in the melodies of songs.  Without their existence art would simply not exist. 

No comments: